Friday, July 21, 2006

"Now, was that civilized? No, clearly not. Fun, but in no sense civilized."

A little length to my day. Worked from 11:30pm to 1:15am. But it was a good day. I did stand-in all day. John Glover was on the show. You might remember him from Gremlins 2: A New Batch, or more recently the father of Lex Luther on Smallville. He is an interesting character actor and it was neat to have him on set. He is also very real. The scene went back and forth from interrogation room to observation room, one LONG-ASS scene. Anyway his character is being questioned, so he walks in and says hi to my right away. Now usually I don't say much to the principals, there are certain boundaries of respect that I just decide not to cross, but he was actually very conversational. He sat down at the table and broke out into some song and I told him that would work perfectly for his character, if he suddenly started singing a little tune to himself. Of course it wasn't, but he found it amusing I think. Later on I walked in and unneccesarily pretended I was the character of the captain (for whom I was standing in.) So I walked over, sat down, put aside a box of evidence, looked at him real hard and said, "ok, let's talk." Then as he was leaving for the night I told him to have a good night, he asked if I was coming back tomorrow, I said "unfortunately not, this is the end of us." He laughed and walked out. Such was my real experience with a somewhat successful actor. Much better than the you're an actor, and I'm happy just to say hi routine.
The day was good anyway. Stand-in is so much better than doing background. Being on set watching things happen, the acting, all the technicalities. And it's great to be a part of that process, even if I am just a tool. But when you think about it, everyone of the crew IS a tool, each with their singular design. So I don't real so bad. And the respect given is usually infinately better. I did quite a good job today I think and the crew and A.D. warmed up to me because of that. My only downfall was eating a turkey sandwich for lunch. Fuck you turkey, why do you make people sleepy. As I sat in a chair waiting I could feel it taking effect. My eyes closed for about 30 second until I heard, "cut!" and I opened them wide. Somehow that was all I needed and I was completely energized. Yeah, it was a good day.
The only thing that is pissing me off right now, is that I came home and there were no headshots or postcards waiting in front of my door. Motherfuckers, you're going to hear from me tomorrow. Count on that!
Now I've made myself an uncommonly strong screwdriver and letting everything slow down before I go beddy-bye.

No comments: