Saturday, July 08, 2006

In One Eye, Out the Other

Despite being EXTREMELY tired it was a good day. They added a wardrobe change (more money) and when I arrived they wanted us to use our bags as props (more money.) It was also quite a long day (uhh...more money.) I unfortunately forgot to put on deodorant, but today was really mild so this mishap wasn't a problem.
It was pretty simple. I did some walking, changed, went to another and waited around. Back to holding, walk-away lunch, change and more holding. Most of the day I spent in holding in fact. I kind of made a vow a few weeks ago to be continually productive whilst in holding. Productive in the most general meanings of it I guess. I forgot my writing book, so working on my script was a bust.
So I looked to the web for education. Somehow I got og Woolly Mammoths. Apparently scientists discovered that the Mammoths shared similar animo acid variances that dictated the color of their hair, meaning there were blondes, red heads and ravens. I also stumbled upon this huge effort by scientists to bring back this exstinct species. Something to do with genomes I think, sadly I didn't retain EVERYTHING I learned today. Another way that scientists suggested resurrecting the Mammoth is to find some ancient frozen Mammoth and impregnate the African (i think) elephant, which is the closest relative to the exstinct species and through generations they could develop a hybrid 88% Woolly Mammoth. Another interesting thing I discovered is that most mammals don't gray. And scientists don't really know why humans do, but dogs and cats do also, don't they??
Then I read about ants and how they make up 1/3 of the insect species catagorized. And and I learned so much more about them.
And THEN!! It was robots and cutting edge technologies. The military is apparently making cyborg sharps, using (magic?) to control the sharks perceptions, using the shark's unique senses and manipulating the shark's will like a remote control car. I personally find that disgusting and appalling!! I read about many different robots being developed, most still about 8 years from REALLY impressing me, but still stunning to learn about.
I read about directed energy guns, essential Star Trek phasers that are being developed. There are many many different kinds, again I can't really give a lesson on how these weapons work, but they can be set to merely stun or temporarily blind someone, create a temp. burning sensation under the skin and even kill some one. The hand held devices have the range of standard small arms and FAR better accuracy. Apparently the military is reluctant to use them. They want more testing to see if the non-lethal weapons have any long term negative effects on the people shot by them. WAIT A SECOND HERE!!!! negative effects like dying? You know what a BULLET does to you?? I don't know, maybe that's just how I think. Found a great quote from someone overseeing the project, "What I'm looking for is a way to shoot everybody and they're all ok." Aren't we all?
I started looking into cloning and then was called to set. But i did find out that apparently that dog who was claimed to be the product to stem cell cloning, was a hoax or something. Anyway, tomorrow I return to set. Today I was non-descript, tomorrow I will be a bartender. It's a nice enough set, one of the PA's stole a BG's bike and raced him to holding on it. Oh! for lunch... a chicken milano panini. YUMMMM!

No comments: