Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Back to the Beginning

I'd have to say right now, the thing I enjoy doing the most (creatively) is writing for Dead Land. When I first started writing, it was in the form of short stories. Little science fiction or dark/bleek pieces usually. Then I started making films with Geoff and Zachary when I was about 15. Even though the first things we made weren't exactly scripted, like such classics as "I'm Trying To Get a Job" about a guy who contracted AIDS from his dog and ends up in a shoot out with an exec who won't hire him, only to be accidently shot by one of his own employees and given a grand send off (dumped out a second story bathroom window) or "My Dog is Dead" about a guy who goes to visit a greiving friend who just lost his dog, only to find out that the owner in fact ate his dog. Oddly enough that also ended with gunfire. Soon enough we needed scripts for our projects and I opted to take that responsibility. Ever since that point screenplays are all I have written. I spent so much time trying to master the screenplay format and dialogue, that I completely abadoned standand prose writing. So going back to it is refreshing and unrestrciting. Everything is scripts has to be blunt and concise; it's nice to just describe people and environments casually without worrying about "trimming the fat." I also love the idea of creating worlds, there's just endless roads to go down and again nothing restricting you. The short story format encourages drama, comedy, adventure... each new story presents the option to explore ranges. But perhaps the most fun part is collaborating with my friends, which constantly keeps it fresh and offers much more to the story than I could bring myself.
Speaking of friends, apparently Dave IS alive. I happened upon his blog today and there's an update. His trip is finished and he's stuck in Mass. Of course this is Dave, and I'm not quite certain that he'll be coming back to NYC.
There's not much else to report on, my day's aren't very exciting lately, writing, getting stuff out for the script and acting, eating, working out, fighting for sleep, recording some... of course my guitars desperately need new strings, recording that instrumental I posted, as I played rust was falling into my hand, I had to finally cover my hand in a piece of cloth because the string was tearing up my fingers, and you have to play much better as well for it to sound good. Well tomorrow I'll probably get some for my acoustic. Anyway... hoping I'm get at least one day of work this week.

No comments: