Sunday, July 30, 2006

"Chicago"...In a Little Place Called Rhinebeck

I traveled upstate today to a little place called Rhinebeck (I know some of you know where this is.) I went up there to watch a show and support a friend. The name of the place is the Center for Performing Arts. The name of the show was Chicago. Kat Murello plays Velma, one of the two leading ladies. Though I went to see a friend perform, I ended up thoroughly impressed by the entire cast. The production is amazing in the truest sense of the word. From costumes, sets to the singing, dancing and acting, all of it was outstanding. But don't take my word for it, a local newspaper describes the show as, "electric." I mean come on, what could be a better compliment for a show?? Now believe ME, you will not be able to take your eyes off the stage and you will curse the need to us mortals to blink.
I saw the Broadway version this year; it was good. But I can honestly say that the players of this modest community theater surpass the talents of most every actor I saw on Broadway. They explode vocally and the dance numbers have you wishing you were sitting in front of TIVO so you could rewind and play back that shit it's so good. It's humorous, it's sexy, it's exciting, it's even dramatic. I can honestly say that I am now a true Chicago fan...as in fanatic.
So please, if you live in the area, I encourage you to go see this production. If you want to see a Broadway quality show for 1/4 the price and be wildly entertained, this is it. It will leave you with a headful of songs for hours and hours.

For times and reservations go here: http://www.centerforperformingarts.org/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the review. I saw a little ad in a restaurant in Rhinebeck recently for that show, and I was interested in going. Now I'm thinking I might suggest it next time my boyfriend is up here.