Sunday, June 04, 2006

Sister for Sale, by Shell Silverstein

"One sister for sale! One sister for sale!
One crying and spying young sister for sale!
I’m really not kidding, So who’ll start the bidding?
Do I hear a dollar? A nickel? A penny?
Oh, isn’t there, isnt’ there, isn’t there any
One kid who will buy this old sister for sale,
This crying and spying young sister for sale?"

Thank you Mr. Silverstein for writing the perfect poems and drawing the perfect pictures for adolescent Rick. You helped form his creative mind with your odd ball poetry and demented illustrations. He is in your debt.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is so funny

Anonymous said...

I had to recite this in a Drama class back a couple of years ago. And I haven't forgotten it, yet. lol. At the family reunion this past year, we had an auction. I asked if I could sell my sister, and recited this poem. S. Silverstein's poems have always been interesting and memorable.