Sunday, June 18, 2006

Fear's Good for the Ratings, Isn't it?

Anyone that lives in NYC or whose lives are connected to the city, must have heard by now about the terrorist plot to our subway system. The news channels just eat this shit up and pounce us with it, providing updates and mentioning it on every promo like Union Square was attacked this morning. The viewer has to sit down for about 5 minutes before they mention that this cancelled attack took place over 3 years ago! Why? Because they want to grab the viewer with immediacy. For ratings, maybe just maybe for political intention. Well, I'm a New Yorker. I use the subway system almost every day. I know there is danger inherent in living in what most people consider the center of the world and using its underground public transporation. I don't need the perverse fear heightening tactics of news channels beating me over the head with it. So all you news channels, especially you Fox, just shut the fuck up.

No comments: