Saturday, August 05, 2006

Taking the weekend off

It was a quick decision. Go home. I made some very blunt phone calls, threw the essential shit in my backpack, secured an Amtrak ticket and got out of dodge. The subway was very good to me. Every train was perfectly in tune with my arrival and I was at Penn Station in no time. This spoke to me, "it's okay Rick, go home, you're doing the right thing." I had a few minutes to spare, so I bought lunch to-go ( a Snickers bar and a bottled water) and boarded the train. Besides a large guy in front of me who had his seat reclined far too much and kids behind me, it was an alright ride. I brought my laptop of course and tuned out any aggravation with a movie. Then the phone rang. I haven't recieved a call for work in TWO weeks mind you. Now an hour into my ride a casting agency calls me and wants me to work. I listened to the voice mail fuming!! I was further enraged as my piece of shit T-Mobile service was getting ZERO reception and I had to wait about 15-20 minutes before I could call back. Luckily the work may still be available to me next week. But it just fucking figures, doesnt it??
Very soon I was suddenly thrown into the family environment meaning, parents, siblings, grandparents, nieces latching onto me. It's a little overwhelming going from bunches of solitude to being surrounded on all sides. Since my life's habits don't really coincide with my family's I was up alone watching a movie until the wee hours (2:30am) while they all slept snuggly. Like usual I was sharing the couch with a Boxer named Zeus who farted non-stop. The stench could not be compared to anything I know. But I forgave him repeatedly because he has floppy ears. This morning was a rude awakening. Kids yelling and the like. I did't want to get up, but there was really no choice. I ate half of a muffin before Zeus stole the rest, then I was coerced into the pool. There I stayed for quite a while as I was having a hell of a time picking up adult and kid alike and throwing them under the water. This while they tried to gang up on me (which NEVER worked.) At some point my doggy brother Max came over to visit and I gave him my behind the ears massage/scratch maneuver I do so well and tried to cool him off with some pool water, which he was very timid about. He is part Lab, just so you know, so he was being quite ridiculous. Then I helped my sister do some errands (my sister I must say is one of my most favorite people, goofy goofy goofy) which led us to a very long hour wait inside a hot vehicle to play musical cars. Then it was back to the house for hotdogs (which I usually don't deal with) and more water festivities. Then a BBQ with the family and the usual banter. Later on a good friend stopped by and we hung out for a while engaged in dry and suddenly hilarious conversation. I am having a great time so far. I'm trying to keep my mind of work related problems and all the other career or monetary things I stress about while in the city. (well I did bring materials to prepare some query letters, but I had to be somewhat productive) It feels like a vacation, but what work am I escaping? Maybe it's not about the work, but more about (again) the stress. Nevertheless, it's good. I really feel like I will return fully restored and energetic to get back into things. Tomorrow, plans for more swimming and more eating are already afoot. I may be back to write this weekend, but I don't want to give false promises.

No comments: