Sunday, August 20, 2006

Kinda Got That Worn In Look?

I do! I don't even know where to start on the event that was this weekend! I have been in Brooklyn since Thursday night, staying at a very kind friend's house, because he lives much closer to the promo gig and he was also hired for it. Friday morning we arrived there at 7am and waited around for about a half an hour with no clue whom to talk to or what to do. Finally the supervisor comes along and we get our nifty promo shirts and security tags. I am paired up with a girl and we are at the x-box station. The actual event was the AVP tournament, you know, volleyball. And so we were whoring out the sponsors of the tournament. They had four stations at my booth, baseball, tennis, boxing and football. Then a table, where we had rows of frisbees and waterbottles and people could sign up to win a free x-box. Exciting? There was a wheel there they wanted us to spin for the "fans" as they were called. The choices on the spin wheel were... "waterbottle," "flying disc," and "try again." Now what the fuck is the purpose of the "try again"????? They're going to end up getting either a water bottle or frisbee, so why makes me spin that fucking wheel again? The wheel itself was ghetto-ass shit. Made of metal and near falling apart, the supervisor told us not to allow "fans' to spin the wheel in fear it would spin right off and kill someone. And loud as hell! So whenever someone asked to spin the wheel and this was often, I simply told them, "we can't let you, it could kill you." I don't know, I think people had the impression spinning the wheel was fun, like they got a chance at Wheel of Fortune or some shit. Come on people!! You're spinning for either a water bottle or frisbee!!! Why don't you just take the one you want (no! not both you greedy fuck) take that shit and go. Then of course there are the typical stupid questions/stupid jokes you have to smile through until they wear that fake ass smile on your face down to a threatening sneer (you'll soon figure out why my attitude is a little hostile.) About 7 hours passed and I decided I'd use my food ticket the supervisor gave me to get some eats. I walk down the beach to the place with the eats and order a chicken sandwhich. As I am eating this sandwhich I am watching them at the cooker, they take off the grill and lean it against a fence. As they pour charcoal into it, the grill falls over into the sand. So the guy picks up the grill , shakes it off and puts it back on the cooker. Well, I guess they were making "sand"whiches!!! heh-heh-heh!
Now, it's a hot, sunny day at the beach. Which sounds nice! And for a while it is. I has on shorts, their shirt and went barefeet. But it also really wears you down. About 12 hours into the day, they tell us we can go on a 15 minute break for more food. This is complete BS, because they were supposed to let us go at 6:30 and it was supposed to be an hour. So I am FUMING, my friend is pissed and ther girl we were hanging with was also irrate. We're walking on the boardwalk to try to make it to real food (Nathan's) and Leo and I are just throwing out all kinds of hostilities (mostly in the form of jokes.) We get to Nathan's and we've run out of time, so we walk back with no food, again with an endless barrage of hate flowing out. But it was an hystarical 20 minutes.. Long story short we worked about 15 hours and had a total of 45 minutes for a break.
Alright, I am getting tired of writing....The second day was shorter, we got released early, the supervisor knew many of us were pissed, so he was less of a Hitler but still an ass. I stopped using the spin wheel all together because the piece of shit wasn't working properly anyway (yes all is needed to do WAS spin and stop, but just trust me.) I brought sunscreen, as Friday my face got burnt under the sun, I tried out something called the IJoy, a massage chair. I wanted to hate the thing, but mostly it actually did feel quite nice. The volley ball players were really in sickly good shape with tans that made their skin look more like hide than well...skin. Took my shirt off during break to fight the farmers tan, kicked some ass in boxing, ate a nice dinner (I recently wrote somewhere online, "who eats eggplant anyway?" and I just had some. It's quite good,) watched a movie, a glass of wine and passed out.
Today another short day, filled with ducking and dodging to talk to people on my sidekick at the stand. Perhaps all this makes me sound like a terrible worker. Not the case. The first day I was really trying to make it fun, being overly excited to the "fans" and joking around and even yesterday and today, I might not have been smilely, but I only sneered at people when they REALLY deserved it. And I was always doing my tasks. I am completely burnt out. The sun, the heat, the smiling, the hours... all I want to do is slink in the chair and relax. But first a shower!!! My hair doesnt even feel like hair, it gives the appearance of, but certainly is not! There is sand everywhere and it needs to come off. Anyway, this was my weekend. It would have been much more interesting to read about had I blogged every day, but at any given moment I was too exhuasted for that.

No comments: