Monday, August 21, 2006

The Adventures of a Subway Moron

So I had work today on a TV show. Filming was on the edge of Brooklyn, which wasn't so bad, just a few train transfers. Unfortunately, I wasn't sure about one of the transfer station (not that I had any help from conductor announcements) and I missed the stop. This slowed me down only a few minutes and I got there with time to spare. Since breakfast catering was right in front of the studio I figured I'd get an omelette going before I went into holding. Now I had been to this studio once before, very long ago, actually I don't even remember what the production was. The set up was a little changed, the holding in a different area. Well, I walked through about 5 doors looking for holding, went up to two crew who just completely fucking ignored my presence, then another who was nice enough to help, but sent me in the wrong locale, and then finally I was told that the door marked "catering" also lead to holding. Who woulda thunk it?
So I was a coroner. It was kind of a demanding day. First health-wise I haven't been so good for the last couple of days (a combination of exhaustion and a cold thanks to the promo gig), secondly I had to maneuver a gurney/body bag/dummy through a doorway. The direction...walk backwards three steps/ no scratch that five steps/no scratch that 6 steps, turn about, quicken pace through threshold, hug the wall, all of this timed precisely. I only mention the steps because otherwise I know you'd be thinking, how hard is it to pull a gurney around. So that was part was a stressful, but we got it done and I didn't mind the challenge, because everyone was appreciative of ours efforts. The other great task was getting the gurney up a flight of stairs, windy, narrow stairs, involving getting around a bounce and a light, once reaching the top of the stairs, lifting the gurneyup further and turning it 90 degrees down another set of stairs and passing it off to a PA. Take 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,wait back up guys and action! reset! Holy fuck! Is it hot in here?
Luckily the day was short. I'm still not quite sure what went down, but on my subway back home, I somehow ended up in Manhattan. Yeah, I've been a NY'er for nearly 2 years, that's right.
I finally got home, watched TV for about an hour and then passed out for a couple of hours. I've finally been able to catch up on my Dead Land readings...WOW!! Incredible!! Go Pop Sharks!!!

No comments: