Monday, September 04, 2006

Some Say His Heart Was In The Right Place, Some Say The Wrong

Steve Irwin has died. Though most poisonous stingrays are not deadly, this stingray happened to pierc Irwin through the heart with his barbed tail and the curtain fell. OK, the heart joke aside. This is pretty sad. There is no doubt he was an environmentalist and advocate for wildlife preservation. His zoo was home to the 100+ year old tortoise that died a couple of months ago. I mean yes, you can't constantly tease the dangers of wild animals and think you're gonna last too long. (which is why I am surprised no notice from cash4cadavers) But still it's sad.

Finally went grocery shopping. There is food in the fridge now. Now I just have to get my stomach back to its original size, so I can fit more than three peanuts in there. heh. That was about as productive as I was yesterday. I meant to work out, but ran out of time. I met up with a friend. He's still stuck in the Gap machine, so I met him at the store in Rockerfeller Center. There was a huge event going on that I more or less wandered into. Some kind of Brazilian celebration. Concert, booths of food and clothes. Suddenly the Brazilian singer on stage started singing Guns'n'Roses' Sweet Child of Mine. Umm...Ok. Wasn't expecting that.

Now this guy is Puerto Rican and very political. Those two attributes I use to define him. He is fascinated in Caucasian culture, so when we hang out I somewhat feel a lab rat. We were in a food joint eating and talking politics (well I mostly just listened and learned) when I suddenly recognized Peter Gabriel on the radio. It was a remix of his song, Women's Day. It was hard not to give the song my full concentration anway, but impossible when Shaggy jumped in and started singing on the song. WTF! Peter Gabriel and Shaggy? Why? It wasn't terrible, but come on Shaggy!
Anyway this friend has a somewhat stereotyped idea of what Caucasians do, which is book stores, quirky movies, music stores...ok maybe it's got some basis. We went to Barnes and Noble and I pointed out of the white books he needed to buy and he left with 9 books. I bought only one, though I should go back because the prices were really cheap. The guy's ridiculous but hilarious. That was about it for the night, I had been tired all day so I just went home, watched TV for a bit and passed out.

No comments: