Saturday, September 16, 2006

Interview with Cult Hit Rapper Brekken Brek

I was able to meet up the DCUP Rapper/producer Brekken Brek at his recording studio in Astoria, NY today. Brek took some time out of his busy schedule to answer some questions fans have been dying to know.

RC: Thanks for letting me into the studio, it's really quite impressive.

BB: Nothing but the best for Brek yo! Nothing but top quality, grade A, high end, cutting edge tech for the Brek, dog!

RC: First for the purpose of quelling rumor, is it true that DCUP has dissolved?

BB: Yo, that rumor's all whack. We just keeps it loose.

RC: What are the other members up to?

BB: Last I heard Black Olive got teleported to the future. Ariel Starbody, hell who knows with that bitch, hugging a toilet, messing up a bike cop, partying in a fucking cave in Pakistan, she's a fucking loose canon.

RC: So when I was last here you were working on a new song. Any progress with that?

BB: I got my vocals down, it's just about getting everyone together you know. Finding the right people, getting the right time.

RC: The music you've released under DCUP has had various sounds. Is it your intention to produce a diverse range of material or does it just come naturally?

BB: I just keep it fresh yo, keep it real. I like to keep my music fresh, I like to keep my vocals hot. Hot like ice, yo.

RC: Who's Brekken 360?

BB: Brekken 360's my transformation, bitch. Dig it.

RC: I'm a musician myself. I know you like to collaborate with different musicians for different sounds. Would you ever consider working with me on a song some time?

BB: Sorry dog, I don't do charity. No room for amateurs in the big ring.


Brek was nice enough to show us a work in progress. Note: 30 or so seconds pass before vocals come up. The photo was taken at Final Dayz studios courtesy of Brekken Brek.

audio:It's All a Game, Ain't It
by rec327

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo RC,

Long time fan, first time commenter.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I really loved your interview with Brekken Brek, probably one of the most underestimated and multitalented artistic visionaries of the last year.

I was wondering if at any point during your interview, though, Brek made any mention of a possible movie. I was a big fan of his soap opera work, even before he got into hip hop, and there was talk that Paramount was maybe going to sign him to star in his own biopic- like 8-mile or something.

Oh, and I don't know if you saw, but in Black Olive's recent interview with Rolling Stone he called Brek a "overprivleged ego with no respect for the roots of hip hop." What a bitch, right? And what's up with his going to the future now? Why doesn't he just take off that whack-ass novelty alarm clock and stop walking around in thunderstorms?

Anyway, keep it up, dogg.

BrekFan16

rec327 said...

Hey Brekfan16,

Thanks for the comments and questions. As you can imagine, it takes Brek a few days to respond to my emails, and when he does they're usually fragments of sentences held together with curse words.

Brek says he's still in negotiations concerning the biopic Warner Bros. is interested in deleloping. After his last experience producing "Phantom Dayz" he's cautious about such things. But since he IS a soap star, he's already working with more than what Eminem's got, plus like 10X the rapping/producing talent, so it will be AWESOME if it happens.

I didn't catch the Black Olive interview unfortunately. Brek insists he's only like that when he whacked up on coke. So I guess we got to take it with a grain of salt. Though I'm a little disappointed in Olive for not giving Brek his due props. In my opinion, Olive can take that novelty clock of his and shove it up his-you know what.