Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Weekend Getaway #1

So the Salem Halloween Bash 'o6.... Well, it wasn't incredibly Halloweeny, aside from candy, a game of Zombies and watching Friday the 13th. It was however a good time. A respectable number of friends getting together and catching up...and much drinking. Admittedly I really know a few of the people of the people involved. Well I mean I know everyone, but after leaving college the group that I belonged to, divided and regrouped each year with new friends. So I'm acquainted with the group, but not like one is when you're living in the absurdity of college life.
A very kind Sara picked up Porter and myself at Poughkeepsie on Firday night, saving us some money. Tthen we went to the grovery store for candy and eats. There was a frozen pizza, four bags of treats, an akward moment for Sara with the cashier and we were out. Upon hitting Sara's spacious (yeah, I'm a bit jealous of people who have "real" apartments) I played some DCUP songs and recieved grand applause. That's how it went down right? It was an early night, I slept rather comfy-like on the futon, though it pales in comparison to mine.

Long drive, rain, watching Sara white-knuckle the steering wheel, laptop dies after 1:30 hours.

When we reached Dave's house, Curran, Pat and He were already happy-drunk. I snatched a slice of pizza and made myself the first of several screwdrivers. There was much laughter and conversation, stories of old and new adventures. More drinking, picking people up, talking people down, waiting for the rain to cut us some slack to go out, Black Olive from DCUP made an appearance. Really! How surprised was I!! Then there was more drinking, forcing bread and water on people, card games where the stakes were candy and um...drinking. An outing to acquire roast beef sandwhiches and whatnot, as it seems to have been a group craving. Then we watched Friday the 13th, a most ridiculous, outdated movie that was mercilessly blasted by the lot of us.

When it cleared up we went into town. I have to say I was pretty disappointed. I was the ONLY one that dressed up. I decided to be Brekken Brek, the producer/member of DCUP. I think my crowning achievement for the night was yelling out "Can someone give me a booya?" to practically EVERYONE on the street. The going out part of the night was pretty dissapointing for me to be completely honest. We returned to Dave's pad and continued playing unheard of versions of poker and sharing stories until the early morning. Now don't get the wrong impression, I wasn't plastered for 13 hours, I was keeping a nice steady pace, cuz sometimes my friends it's about endurance.

On Sunday we went out and walked the town as Dave's showed us around Salem. I really thought that the only proper way to end the night was to break into an old Puritan village that was set up and fenced off in a park. Three of us went in and explored the village and looked for photo-ops.

Then it was another long ass drive, train ride and hugely inconvenient subway mess once I reached Manhattan. That's it.

For another perspective on the weekend and some photos visit Sara's blog.

No comments: