Friday, October 06, 2006

The Backside of Liberty

Second day being in or traveling through NJ, where the Statue of Liberty is perpetually shaking her ass for that state. Did work on a movie that a month I was interviewed to do permanent stand-in work on. The women that I had met that day was still there doing stand-in and she wasted no time confiding to me how terrible the experience had been, with all nighters, rain, attitudes, crew getting fired and the like. I was suddenly glad not to have picked up the gig.

It was a most uneventful night. Lots of sitting on a lawn, an occasional step, an even more occassional chair. Running out of cigarettes, going to set now and then to do some work, snacking, taking a van into town for catering, searching for cigarettes in the little plastic town, determining it's a non-smoking communnity, gave up, went to eat the cold, left-over food, and a mighty good pecan pie, suspiciously followed the actor back to set on foot, because I myself didn't feel like waiting for the van. When the night got later, there was no more sitting, since dew had taken the grass, just standing and shivering. I welcomed a warm meatball subway.

After about 14 hours of work it was time to go home. And what an aggravating journey it is! I went to the 6 line, noting the downtown train I crossed the street and went in what I thought was the uptown train. It wasn't. But the card was already swiped. I tried to wait it out, about ten minutes later a train showed up and I still couldn't enter (having the unlimited monthly plan, there's a time limit after you swipe.) The train passed, the staion worker cared not about my plight, so I said fuck it and walked to the nearest N/W line to acquire a more direct route. Much waiting. I took the R train hesitantly...blah blah blah, it took FOREVER to get back home. But you know what?? I ended the night right, with a good epdisode of Seinfeld. So it's all good!

No comments: