Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Big Event

The showing of the Lycian preview at the Mocca Lounge in Tribeca was an interesting experience. Not terrible, not amazing, but an experience I am glad I partook in anyway.

My colleagues were running late, so I went ahead without them. Thinking I might have to go it alone, I prepared a little speech in my head while on the subway. It went a little like this:

"The trailer you're about to watch is to a movie called Lycian. It was the first major feature film that I produced and it was a somewhat of an exhaustive experience that took nearly 2 1/2 years to complete. As you will see, the production required the building of a full scale Medieval village, period customes for the five principal actors as well as nearly 70 extras, the employment of a 2 time Emmy award winning composer to create an epic soundtrack, stunt choreography, and scouting for authentic castles within New York State... all for just under $30,000. All of the funding came from the wallets of three broke-as-hell filmmakers from upstate New York, who all shared a passion and need simply to tell a story."

It kind of sounds a bit arrogant, but fortunately it's all true, without any exaggeration.

When I got to the Lounge my colleagues were still enroute. So I decided to settle into things with a mixed drink, my regular: a screwdriver. I then got a complimentary shot of tequila from the bartender who matched me. It was certainly a good way to start things off I must say. The place was smaller and less organized than I was expecting and at a point, I was just hoping that they had received the DVD we sent them (as there was some question to this.) Though we were asked to be there at 7:15, nothing started until 8:00. They guys arrived and with time to spare. The host asked if we were part of the movie event and then sat us down in a reserved section. The DJ who was running the event (I had met him moments before) came over and introduced himself to everyone else. A little later, and after some poor communication, we found out that we weren't meant to be in the reserved area where we were seated. This kind of kicked us out to the front patio, and made for plenty a joke later in the night (such as going into a chinese eatery and asking to show our preview there.) The DJ found us and apologized for everything. I told him it was fine. There were people there actually premiering their stuff and our thing is years old, so it really didn't mean the same thing to us. I decided our director should make the speech after all that planning. I genuinely thought it would be good for him to do it. There was a funny moment when the mic wasn't working, and he pretty much said "thank you" several times, but it was still good. After the preview ended there was applause, the DJ then prompted a second round of applause and announced my name, telling me to raise my hand. When I did, he followed saying not to be shy. So I raised both hands and did a silly exaggerated triumphiant pumping of the arms. Collecting the DVD afterward, I received many nice compliments and then we left. And that was that. I did find out that they do this monthly and talked to the DJ about showing ShE there either at the end of the month or the middle of next month. It's a good practise anyway I think.

In kind of a rash decision I bummed a ride upstate with the guys and now here I am. Unfortunately I missed out on work (got the call pm today) for tomorrow, and I am getting all antsy. So tomorrow I am catching the noon train back to the city. It's going to be a busy next few months. I've already started looking into film festivals, but more work is needed on that end, and I am completely up to it. I was thinking of concerning myself with the affairs of the premier upstate, but I don't think I will make it my main focus any more. There's no progress in it, in my opinion. I want to enter the competitive stuff, I want it to be seen by people in the industry. I have alot of plans that need to start shaping into action real soon with the multitude of things I am trying to achieve. It's time to sink my teeth in again.

But right now, here I am. Good ole north country. Typing on a dial up connection, sipping pepsi and parot bay, or parot bay and pepsi if we're to go by ratio and winding the night quietly down...

p.s. I wish it was easier to see my family and not be completely unavailable to my work.

No comments: