Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Please Leave

The nightmare job I took last night turned into not so bad an evening. I knew of the PA's there from a movie I worked on called P.S. I Love You. So that was cool. Set was in Ghetto Town. I'm currently missing my NFT book so I can't tell you the exact area of Brooklyn it was in, but it was pretty near where I used to live. Which is Bushwick. Ah, Bushwick! You skanky little hoochie momma.

I was pretty sure my wardrobe and props were going to have production scolding me, since they weren't exactly what was asked for, but I just plain didn't have what they were asking for. But no one shouted in my ear and ordered situps out of me, instead I passed through inspection easily as the extra playing a homeless woman became the attention of both wardrobe women as her clothes didn't look very shabby. There was a lot of waiting around on set/holding toward the beginning of the day. It was obvious crew was waiting around for something or someone, but I just kept to myself and used the time to read. Another of the homeless type extras kept bothering me, coming over and telling me about how extra work was in Hollywood when HE lived there. You see, pretty much all the background on set were ignorant of SAG rules, and it's not that I am a stickler, but I just have learned the rules along the way and when someone asked a SAG question I answered. And that must have attracted this dirty, ratty old man to me. "Well when I lived in Hollywood" began almost all his sentences. All the while I am staring at his outgrown dirt caked fingernails. At one point I just said, "yeah, I know, I lived right near Hollywood myself." That shut him up for a bit... a bit, ignoring him proved much more effective.

Eventually we shoot and I got paired up with Norah Jones' (who is acting in the film) personal assistant, who was pulled into the scene because there were so few BG. We did about a thousand takes and then it was time to move to the next location. Well dirty old man and another girl was released. I was a little jealous, but at the same time I was starting to think it might be a good money night, since it was the last day of filming and every now and then a crew guy would pass by moping, "It's gonna be a LONG night."

Then we moved to an excellent holding area. Padded seat. Crafty a foot away. Bathrooms a few feet away. An outlet I was secretely keeping for when things died down. And best of all a TV!!! The rest of the night was fine enough. I ate, watched American Idol with the rest of the room as they shouted and laughed at the singers and/or judges. On PBS, there was an awesome interview between John Lennon and Mich Jagger, and then Lennon got on stage with Eric Clapton and Keith Richard and rocked out. This awesome moment was followed by an instrument that went array when Yoko Ono joined in and began wailing out of tune indiscernable sounds. It was painful to EVERYONE that listened, and I swear I saw every band member crack a smile at some point. The night ended much earlier than I thought, I was home by about 2am.

Today I woke up to aluminum scraping against concrete and an elecretic saw as the house is getting a bit of a make over. And I've been hearing it ever since. I really wish I had spent more time outside today as it was incredibly mild (70 degrees) but I had things I had to do. First and most importantly I secured a bar to film part of the DCUP Land video in. I am completely on DCUP's good side now. Then I went to the hardware store to buy supplied to fix up my bathroom. This effort was halfway successful, the soap tray that broke rather mysteriously a few month back is now in one piece. The shower on the other hand, did not come out nearly as well as I wanted. Of course the problem wasn't so much with my skill level as it was with the shower itself. It's got problems. Big problems.

I also meant to make up some new meals today, one being Chicken Marsala (free range chicken y'all!!) That I never got to sadly, but after some nonesense I end up with the day off tomorrow. And that is when I will strike!!!

No comments: