Sunday, November 04, 2007

Cell Block C

So Friday I spent the day in jail. Riker's Island to be specific. Law and Order: Criminal Intent if you really want to know. I was playing a mentally fucked prisoner of the Riker's Island facility. They had the whole rainbow of types: biker dudes, Aryan looking skinnies, Hispanics, Blacks, an old white guy with glasses and two crazy-looking skinny white dudes. The beginning of the day was shit. It was a long bus ride to the Island, getting checked in by production and then by the prison. No breakfast. Waiting outside in the cold for wardrobe to give me a bag full of costume(yes, it really was cold, I'm not being a pansy.) Being harassed by the prisoners while waiting in that line. The pants were unreasonably tight around my waist. I was half-expecting my legs to fall off by the end of the night. But once we got inside and settled it wasn't quite so bad. I realized that I knew someone there and he just happened to be the OTHER crazy white dude. It wasn't long before they brought us to set, a prison cafeteria. The scene was unforeseeable fun! I rarely EVER have fun doing background. I mean sometimes it's fun working with friends and stuff, but the actual performing is never really fun. I mean how fun can doing a cross or pantomiming to someone else really be? But this!.... Crazy#2 and I were seated at the same table as the principal. The principal has an altercation with a guard or some authority figure and we have to react, and when we're not reacting to that, we just have to sit there and be weird. -I- can do THIS! I quite good at being weird. So I decided that my thing (since i had a tray of fish sticks and peas in front of me) would be I was intent on transporting all the peas individually from one side of the tray to the other with my spoon. Occasionally I would get upset with a pea and squash it with the spoon, warning the other peas the same could happen to them. Crazy2 meanwhile is biting his nails and twitching. Then another person comes over and we both become protective of our trays and shift away from him. It seemed like this was a little too much for production to handle and I thought the a.d. was going to come over and tell us to tone it down, but instead he wanted me to pretend that I had a dirty prison-bitch love thing going on with the guard the principal was speaking with. So when he walked away with the principal I looked over sad and longingly. And this was ALL going on right behind the main action. It was quite hilarious really, I was having trouble keeping a straight face. Especially when in between shots were we using plastic cups to try to dial 911 and an assortment of popular figures and tossing peas and consulting them like they were bones. The day ended up being incredibly amusing. Crazy2 and I had like senses of humor so we were constantly joking around for about 8 hours straight.
Yesterday was all about catching up with errands and chores. Today is about relaxing and finishing up some chores and Monday- Thursday I am working on a TV pilot. I think so anyway, I'm missing some details.

No comments: