Monday, March 10, 2008

The Wind Chill Factor

Some days...most days... we background don't do too much in the way of work while at work. We sit in holding, occasionally napping, reading, writing, bullshitting, taking trips to krafty or to the john. Though are the days a sensible actor realizes that this ain't a rotten deal. But then you have the days from hell, when no one wants to be you. And that was yesterday. Outside all day, hanging out in a wind-tunnel of a street, taking my coat off every couple of minutes and playing summer fun for the camera as the freezing air and wind chilled me to the bone while on the shady side on the street. It was complete torture. To make matters worse, I had only slept for an hour and 45 minutes and I had a hang-over. Ugh! Fortunately I knew someone there and gained a few allies and we passed the day with the usual joking and making fun of weirdos. And the weirdos were out let me tell you. There is this particular casting office that tends to book more freaks for work than any other. I pretend like I hate the freaks, but in truth making fun of them really helps to pass the day. I think Bill Cosby should host a show called, "Freaks Say the Funniest Things" because really they come up with some crazy ass shit. Case in point, "I don't know why that man doesn't smell like old woman." Yup some one said that to me, well to someone in my group, they rarely talk to me, it's probably cuz of the furrowed brow I sport all day. I will say there were 2 genuine highlights of the day. We were filming in Long Island City and in the morning the already spectacular view of Manhattan was illuminated by the rising sun. The second was lunch, which featured King Crab. Coincidentally enough, as we were stowing away down in the basement stairs of a building to avoid the killer wind I made the statement, "They better have some mother-fucking king crab at this lunch." By the time I got home, I was wiped out, my body was done. I was just elated to be warm. The simple things in life.

The best part: 2 more days of this shit.

No comments: