Saturday, July 28, 2007

Music Shuffle

(In the collecting of music lately....)

The most emotionally bipolar song I can think of: full version of Peter Gabriel’s "I Grieve"... to me the story of a person who has lost the love of his life and stuck in memory of her, until he reminds himself that there is a scope to the world and everything in it that makes anything of a singular personal nature minuscule in comparison. But by the end of the song the idea is gone as emotion reclaims him and he is left alone and grieving again.

One of the most romantic songs I can think of: "Blood of Eden" also by Peter Gabriel. Despite the biblically-themed title, the harmony of Pete and Sinead O’Connor is undeniably moving and enough right there to qualify "Blood of Eden" as a top notch candle-lit love making soundtrack. However PG is a masterful lyricist and describes the union of two lovers pretty damn effectively. Plus I think Pete is a Buddhist, if not a sceptic of organized religions. He more uses the reference as an allegory.

The best comeback song I can think of at this moment: "Down"by Stone Temple Pilots. Yeah they had rough seas in the follow-up of "Purple." Tiny Music.... didn’t really present much ambition. And though I kind of remember "#4" being a bit monotonous, the first track, "Down" fucking rocks shit out! I would say it brought them back to their roots, but it kind of brought them back and then stamped it with a "new and improved" seal. A fucking awesome free weight song. Can you feel the burn bitch????

No comments: