Monday, May 29, 2006

The True/False Test

Another day of all work. It was back to the production company search today, mostly to find phone numbers and the development people I need to inquire about once I reach their office. Then I entered into another screenplay contest. The contest was FREE, yet there was a catch. I have to read four scripts entered by other contestants and submit reviews of each one. The scripts they send me are different genres than the one I entered, to guarantee my feedback isn't biased. The review that is required of me is pretty extensive- loglines, character descriptions, story summaries, comments, T/F test, the works. Still I don't mind it. It's nice to have something to read actually and to see how other people put together stories in the screenplay medium. It's also good practice in these aspects that I need to start concentrating on. Today I read a science fiction story. It was entertaining, I don't think I should talk about it out of respect for the author, so I won't. But I spent a good amount of time in my responses, as I hope those who read my script will do. Then I started read another story, a comedy, set in the inner city of LA. Talk about a contrast. Quite funny though.
This is the SECOND day this week that I haven't stepped outside. I get caught up in the above things and then tell myself I don't have time to go outside and not be... productive. Still, I find myself getting irritable during day and by the end of the night I regret that I didn't go out and enjoy the day. It's just hard to be productive out of my apartment. Writing is a different process free-hand, a different way of thinking. It's hard to explain, but I am much more comfortable using a word processor, that way I can rearrange words, sentences, make sense of things in a non-linear way. And then there's the internet, the source of all knowledge. And my biggest waste of time. The rest of the day was pretty obscure, there was a work-out, plenty of eating... fuck, I am boring... I need some work, just to have something to do, to get out around other people. Of course then I'll be frustrated that I am not capable of doing what I am doing now. Hmmm....
Does anyone know if there is a hurricane headed for NYC, or has my mother gone mad? I've been told it's not for a good 10 days anyway. If I had to evacuate I think the only things I would concern myself with would be my acoustic guitar and my laptop, which holds much of my life's work. If the situation was more desparate, I would just grab my back-up disks (theoretically I have these) and get out. The rest could float into the ocean for all I care.

No comments: