Sunday, September 23, 2007

Ani(and)ME

I've been watching anime recently as to get idea of where I want to take an upcoming script. I never really had much interest in the genre, maybe because all the Japanese animation I saw was Pokemon and the like. Though a couple of years ago I was introduced to El Hazard and watched it quite feverishly to the end. Quite literally since I remember having the flu at the time.

Since I decided to write an episodic pilot for Dead Land, my intent for watching anime was more for research. I used suggestions from Dave, who has much more experience with this genre and I must say he hasn't steered me wrong yet. I first started watching Full Metal Alchemist. The series had a fantastic progression in characterization as well as storyline. The pacing given for character reveals was very well done and there's this humor to it that somehow has the capability of often surprising. There's a very particular comedy to anime that is often very quick in its delivery. I watched some 40 or so episodes and then the movie. Now I am watching Avatar. Though this series is much more innocent and geared toward a younger audience, it still provides many of the same qualities.

Though anime may not be the truest genre for Dead Land, I think Dead Land will find its home somewhere in between anime and more gritty American adult oriented cartoons. One thing is certain, I seriously underestimated anime. I'm sorry Japan.

No comments: